Friday, April 25, 2008

Ninety-five years young

I've decided to take up my journal again. My mother is still with me and celebrated her ninety-fifth birthday this week. Along with some friends, I took her out to lunch. There is a local pub which does a very good two-course meal, including a carvery, for pensioners. She tucked in to turkey, stuffing, sausage, roast potatoes and parsnips and an assortment of other vegetables. Mum's generation are definitely not prone to being vegetarians - probably because the shortage of meat during the war makes them see it as a luxury item; not that there are too many of her generation still alive.

Before we went out, a carer came to sit with her for a couple of hours. The carer was only ten years younger than her, and thought that she was very spry for her ages. She does have extremely good mobility - no zimmer and she can get up and down stairs. The carer, who is called Sheila did manage to engage Mum in conversation; something I find very difficult to do. Mind you, Sheila is obviously a very good talker. Before she left she had learned that Mum has a son called John, she comes from Cheshire and her father was Irish. Sheila calls herself 'Irish Sheila'. She did, however, say that I deserved a medal.

Having Sheila here for a couple of hours, not only enables me to get out, it does improve the quality of Mum's life. On Wednesday, the psycho-geriatric doctor, who had asked for a brain scan to be performed on Mum, came with the result. She hasn't had a stroke so her form of dementia comes under the umbrella term of 'Altzheimers'. Having ruled out strokes, he is now able to prescribe some medication which will hopefully also improve the quality of her life. The tablet has to be taken at night. She said she'd take it this time, but wouldn't do so again when I presented her with it for the first time. I asked if she'd swallowed it, and she stuck out her tongue like a little girl. These two things do make it a little easier but I'm not getting any help with personal care, frequently become exasperated and am very tied. I discussed residential care with the doctor who said it might be best for both of us as Mum does not really distinguish me from a carer much of the time. I am ready for a break next week when I will visit my son, his wife and my grandson, Rupert, in Switzerland. Mum will go to the Care Home where they know her best.

2 comments:

Geraldine said...

I hope you and your mom both have a good week and that you get some much needed r and r.

Don't mean to preach, but do be very aware of what types of medication (including reading about side effects etc) and their effects on your mom,as you observe them. Seems that the medical profession likes to over-medicate older folks on a regular basis.

I was very aware of this with my own mom and made sure that didn't happen. If I hadn't I fear that she would have been on drugs that were not required or helpful, just because of how they usually assess older people. It's just so wrong and it is a very sore point with me still.

Take care and see you soon, G

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

carole said...

Thanks for your concern. I am aware that so many elderly people seem to be put on medication automatically. When Mum's been on respite care before they have been amazed that she doesn't take any medication. The doctor has explained possible side effects and told me to stop the tablets if any of them occur.