Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Road Not Taken


We've had an awful lot of rain this week, which means that I've been stuck in the house rather too much. However, Sunday was not only drier but much milder too. In afternoon I went for a walk in the forest with three friends and three dogs. I did wish that I'd taken my camera. The photo above was taken last August, in an enclosure called Bolderwood, when there were leaves on the trees and the sun shone. It was really muddy and we sludged and squelched through the grass before coming to a shallow stream. It would normally have been easy to cross but the recent heavy rain wasn't helped by the fact that this part of the forest is frequented by riders on horseback. Two of my friends carried the third, a very game lady in her eighties, who wasn't wearing wellies. I was only wearing wellies (generally I prefer to ruin shoes) because I'd borrowed a pair from the owner of the dogs. I would love to have been able to post a photo of a springer spaniel bathing in a pool of mud. It's the photo rather than the road not taken. Unlike Robert Frost, I didn't stand at the fork in the road and decide which path to take, I simply regretted not doing something but and here I was like him, there was no way that I could go back couldn't go back and take the walk again - the moment was gone forever.

8 comments:

Keith's Ramblings said...

Isn't it always the way! Photo opportunity - no camera! How lucky you are to have the New Forest outside your door. I adore the place!

Tumblewords: said...

Lovely photo - I didn't know it wasn't 'fresh'. Grin. I love your take on the road you walked that day...warm, friendly, easy and infinitely readable!

paris parfait said...

An interesting take on the road less traveled. Doesn't it happen all too often - the perfect photo right in front of you; the camera at home?

Andy Sewina said...

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't take your camera, although the little story was good especially about the eighty year old woman being carried - surely this would make a good poem.

paisley said...

i have a lovely camera and never use it... i know exactly how you feel... i am forever missing the photo op's.... very nice piece....

gautami tripathy said...

For such moments, mind is the best camera..

Crafty Green Poet said...

I often forget my camera when we go for walks, but sometimes as gautami says mind is the best camera, memories can be so vivid

carole said...

I think that both gautami and crafty green poet have a point. It's possible to be so intent on taking a good photo that you don't fully experience what is around you.

Sweettalking guy, I am going to try to put this in a poem.